No Hillary supporter should vote for McCain because he has opposed everything Hillary Clinton stands for: abortion rights, equal pay, access to healthcare including contraception, comprehensive sex ed. He also has behaved misogynistically in his personal life.
Sunni, Shia, remember that controversy? McCain's multiple "gaffes" demonstrate a lack of understanding of the basic relationships in the region, which will be vital to create a lasting peace. Thought foreign policy was supposed to be his strong point.
McCain's campaign is filled with lobbyists:
- Chief political advisor lobbies for brutal dictators and performed lobbying duties on McCain's campaign bus.
- Campaign co-chair (now resigned) and other high-ranking campaign officials lobbied him directly to disregard free trade agreements and give a $35 billion air force contract to a European conglomerate instead of American Boeing. At least one was being paid specifically to lobby McCain while she was part of his campaign staff (illegal).
- Other campaign staffers (resigned) lobbied for Myanmar's military junta.
- His top energy advisor was an energy lobbyist while he was also McCain's energy advisor, helping form his energy policy.
- Campaign manager lobbied for a Ukranian politician in opposition to United States' national interest. Also lobbied for a Russian businessman with so many organized crime and antidemocratic ties that he was denied a U.S. visa. A fundraiser lobbied for the UAE to help defend them after it came out that they kidnapped and enslaved children as camel-jockeys.
- Chief foreign policy advisor was a paid lobbyist for Georgia, even as he worked on McCain's Russia-Georgia policy.
- Hired an oil lobbyist to help find people to fill all vacant staff positions in a new McCain administration.
McCain takes a lot of money from lobbyists. Read the blog post for an interesting discussion of what this will mean for him politically, in contrast to the 3 million small donors supporting the Obama campaign.
Drill, baby, drill. McCain believes more offshore drilling will somehow make an immediate big impact at the pump, and remain environmentally safe. The day after he announced this turnaround on oil drilling, (the very next day!), he had a $1.3 million fundraiser with Texas energy industry executives. Did any of you happen to catch the number of oil rigs damaged or missing after Hurricane Ike, and how much oil spilled in the Gulf of Mexico? Half a million gallons.
McCain wants to give more and more tax breaks to the people who need it the least: the top 1% and especially the top 0.1% of earners in this country, and almost nothing to the lowest 25%, those who can barely fill their gas tanks and put food on the table. By the way, the top 1% earn over 20% of the nation's income.
McCain's gun policy is so extreme, he won't even speak out against a loophole that allows people on a terrorist watchlist to buy a gun. Oh, wait, his top foreign policy guy lobbied for a gun trade association that opposed closing that loophole. Right. (same guy who lobbies for Georgia).
Sarah Palin would assume the role of president if 72-year-old-he-with-a-history-of-cancer were to die. In my opinion, appointing her showed a terrible lack of judgement on McCain's part.
Palin is just the first of McCain's appointments. If elected president, yes, he can appoint Supreme Court Justices, but also a million other people you'll never hear about, but who carry out whatever McCain's party line is going to be. Remember Monica Goodling??
McCain has done his best to distract the American people from the issues with political stunts. Remember "lipstick on a pig?" His campaign itself has admitted that if they spend too much time talking about the economy, they will lose the election.
McCain, though a veteran and former POW, has voted against the interests of our troops and veterans again and again. Got a "D" rating from the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America.
McCain wants to tax your health care benefits until it gets so expensive that your employer will just stop providing them. Good luck on the deregulated free market! Yes, unbelievably, he also wants to deregulate the health insurance industry. If you're a health care provider, good luck getting reimbursed once the markets are deregulated!
I've tried hard to stay away from subjective "gut-feeling" topics on this blog, but this post will be incomplete if I don't ask you to stop and think, now that the campaigns are nearly behind us, about which candidate you think has acted like a man you'd want to be in charge of our nation.
Well, that's it. Thanks so much for reading, and please pass this along to anyone who isn't committed to voting for Obama. We’re going on a family vacation the week before the election, so this will be one of my last posts, barring another video or big topic idea.